Peter L’Ecluse focuses on life sciences, competition law and intellectual property (IP) rights.
Peter’s expertise encompasses a wide range of areas, including registration, pricing and reimbursement matters, advertising issues and all aspects of competition law. He has successfully represented clients before civil courts, as well as Belgium’s administrative court, the Council of State, in challenging reimbursement decisions and rules imposing prescription requirements on physicians.
Peter has been involved in most of the significant cases arising before the Belgian competition authorities and the courts. His expertise in this area extends to merger control, cartels, dominant market positions and procedural issues. Peter has broad experience in the telecommunications, life sciences, energy and fast moving consumer goods sectors.
Peter has handled such significant cases as Eco Swiss – Benetton (on arbitration and competition law) and ITT Promedia (involving the interplay between anticompetitive regulation and abusive conduct) before the European Commission and the European Courts.
Peter’s patent litigation practice focuses on the life sciences industry. For several years, he has acted as co-counsel for one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, handling multi-jurisdictional patent litigation while defending valuable patents covering various active substances against generic competitors. Peter also acted as co-counsel in proceedings before the European Patent Office and the Belgian courts for a major medical devices company in patent litigation which covered three jurisdictions. He often advises on supplementary protection certificate patent extension issues and assists clients in dealing with counterfeit trade in pharmaceuticals.
Dutch, English, French
- Chambers Europe – Competition: Domestic
- Chambers Europe for Intellectual Property
- Chambers Europe – ‘Leaders In Their Field’ (Competition: Domestic)
- Chambers Europe – ‘Leaders In Their Field’ (Intellectual Property)
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
- Managing Intellectual Property – IP Star
- LMG Life Sciences (Europe) – Life Sciences Star
- PLC for Belgium Life Sciences – Regulatory
- PLC for Belgium Life Sciences – Intellectual Property
- PLC for Europe Life Sciences – Competition/Anti-trust
- PLC for Belgian Competition Law/Anti-trust
- PLC for Belgium Dispute Resolution
- International Who’s Who Legal for Life Sciences
- Legal 500 for Intellectual Property
- Legal 500 for Dispute Resolution
- Legal 500 for EU Regulatory – Pharma and Biotech
- European Legal Experts for Intellectual Property
- World IP Review – WIPR Leader
- The George Washington University, Washington DC, Master of Comparative Law, 1987
- University of Leuven, Master of Laws, 1986
- University of Leuven, Baccalaureus of Philosophy, 1985
Widely published on issues involving life sciences and competition law.
Contributor to Van Bael & Bellis' Business Law Guide to Belgium (Kluwer Law International/Bruylant, 2003).
Contributor to “Private Antitrust Litigation” (European Lawyer Reference/Thomson Reuters, 2013).
Contributor to Van Bael & Bellis, Competition Law of the European Community (fifth edition, Kluwer, 2010), the standard work of reference in the field of EU competition law.
Frequent speaker on life science issues
Former member of the bar council of the Dutch-language bar of Brussels
Former member of the Bar Council of Dutch language lawyers (Brussels)