Aldo Scalini specialises in EU law, with a particular focus on trade and competition law. He represents clients in proceedings before the European Commission and the Court of Justice of the EU.
EU Trade Law and Sanctions
Aldo has been involved in many major anti-dumping, anti-subsidy, and safeguard investigations initiated by the EU and by third countries such as the UK, the USA, Australia, and Turkey. He represents governments of exporting countries as well as companies and associations in a wide range of industries, including steel, aluminium, chemicals, energy and food.
Aldo has extensive experience in assisting public bodies, companies and individuals targeted by EU sanctions. He also advises international companies on compliance with trade and economic sanctions and export control laws.
Aldo has strong expertise in the field of State aid, where he has successfully assisted public authorities suspected of granting aid and alleged beneficiaries active in different sectors, including aviation, infrastructure, tax, and maritime transport.
Aldo also regularly represents clients in antitrust investigations initiated by the European Commission or the Italian Competition Authority. His experience includes advising on antitrust compliance programmes, distribution, and licensing agreements.
EU Law and Litigation
Aldo advises clients on EU law-related issues with special focus on regulated sectors, including the food and beverage, environmental, and automotive sectors. He also advises clients on EU staff regulation issues and public procurement.
Aldo has assisted and represented clients in more than 30 cases before the Court of Justice of the EU (including cases relating to the EU commercial policy, EU sanctions, State aid, and staff regulations) and before the Italian civil and administrative courts.
Italian, English, French
- Chambers Global – ‘Foreign Expert’ (Competition/European Law)
- Legal 500 for Competition Law (EU and Global)
- University of Naples ‘Federico II’, Ph.D. (Public international law), 2010
- University of Naples ‘Federico II’, Laurea in Giurisprudenza (J.D.), magna cum laude, 2006
- University of California, Berkeley, Visiting Student, 2006
- Aiuti di stato e società di calcio in difficoltà: i recenti casi “Valencia football clubs” e “Dutch football clubs”, Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Vol. XII(3), 2016.
- Prossimità geografica e autosufficienza regionale nella gestione dei rifiuti in una recente sentenza della Corte di giustizia (C- 297/08), awarded the “Andrea Cafiero” Prize (Naples Bar), 2010.
Aldo Scalini lectured on international law and international trade law at the University of Naples “Federico II” (2010-2011). He also served as a teaching assistant in public international law at the same University (2006-2009).